Please visit the Edmonton Public Schools Cogito Alternative Program website at: http://cogito.epsb.ca/ for helpful program information.
Cogito is a knowledge-based program with clearly defined standards of achievement and measurable learning objectives. Cogito is dedicated to helping average students maximize their academic potential. Cogito (ko-gi-to) is Latin for I reason. The program provides a classic liberal arts education and is designed for the student who is willing to work to achieve a high level of academic excellence in a knowledge-based program, and in a teacher-directed atmosphere of structured and sequenced learning. Critical thinking is stressed. Students work in an environment that promotes self-discipline.
The unique program characteristics include:
- Enriched curriculum
- Sequenced knowledge content
- Focus on attention and increased concentration
- Early literacy development through explicit phonics
- Strong mental and written math skill development
- Teachers oriented to a classical approach
- Direct whole group instruction
- Strong work ethic expected
- Regular homework required
- Committed parental support
For the 2023 - 2024 school year, with the exception of Grade 6, Pollard Meadows School is full in planned classes in the Cogito program. We will no longer be accepting enrolment requests for Kindergarten to Grade 5 in this program.
If you are registering for Kindergarten or if you are new to Edmonton Public Schools, you must register online.